I bought some beautiful jalapeno peppers to pickle. I often put pickled jalapeno peppers on my tuna sandwiches or put them in my Cheese Quesadillas. Yes, I like pickled jalapeño peppers and it does give it a special taste.
If you want to do some serious and long lasting pickling you must properly sterilize the jar. You have various methods for the home cook of which the easiest, for me, is to boil the jar and the lid in water, cold start, for 20 minutes.
• Approximately 400 gr jalapeno peppers. At least enough to fit tightly in a jar. In my case I use a 750 ml jar.
• 1 ¼ cup of water
• 1 ¼ cup of white vinegar – I used distilled vinegar
• 4 tsps. of sugar
• 4 tsps. of coarse salt
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 garlic clove
• 1 tbsps. all spice
• 1 tbsps. peppercorn
• Slice the jalapeno
– Not too thin. For whole jalapeno make 2 to 3 long slits in them. Pack them up tightly in the jar
• Mix the water and the vinegar in a pot and simmer for 5 minutes
• Dissolve the sugar and salt in the warm vinegar water mixture.
• Put the allspice, peppercorn in the jar with the jalapeno
• Pour the water and vinegar mixture on the jalapeno. Top with the garlic clove and the bay leave