I was cleaning about 3 kg lots of chicken breasts and decided to make chicken pot pie with off cuts. Chickens pot pie is comfort food which can be flavored according to imagination as long as the chicken, when cooked, remains moist. I have done mine with leek and curry but you can use mushrooms, celery, turnips or even replace the chicken with turkey.
The recipe is for 4
• Basic pastry dough – You can use my quiche recipe to make the pastry dough or buy short crust pastry dough
• 500 gr of chicken breast
• ½ litre milk
• 50 gr butter
• 70 gr flour
• 2 small onions
• Bay leaf
• 1 sprig thyme
• 3 peppercorns
• 1 carrot finely cubed
• ½ cup of frozen green peas
• 1 chicken cube
• ! Tbsp. of curry powder
• 1 small leek (½ cup) white part only cut into small cube
• salt and pepper to taste
• Finely cube one small onion and cook it with butter until translucent. Make a roux by adding flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Reserve
• Cut the chicken in bite size
• In a pot put the chicken bits, quartered onion, green peas, carrots, leek, thyme, bay leaf and one chicken cube .Add hot water to fully submerge the chicken. Simmer at extremely slow ebullition for 15 minutes.
• In pot add the milk, curry powder and salt to taste. Bring to the boiling point. Pour the hot milk on the roux, stir and cook until the sauce thickens
• Drain the chicken but reserve the liquid and remove the herbs and peppercorns
• Add the chicken and the vegetables to the sauce and mix. Add the reserved liquid from the chicken to dilute the sauce to your liking. Normally, ¾ to 1 cup of reserve liquid should do. The sauce should be thick and hold all the elements of the chicken pot pie together.
• Portion the mixture in ramekins or in an oven proof dish. Cover with pastry and make a small hole for the steam to escape. Brush the pastry with an egg wash. Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.