I decided to revisit the chicken lollipops which have been around for a long, long time. The good thing is that they are not messy to eat, wrap the protruding bone with a little foil and voila. Also, I am sure it is an illusion, they seem meatier to eat than regular chicken wings.
I will explain how to make them and add a sauce to make everyone happy.
Chicken wings lollipops
- Chicken wings
- Regular flour
- Bread crumb
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For creativity sake you can add any spices or herbs of your liking to add a personal touch
- Oil for frying
- Cut the tip of the chicken wings. Keep them to make stock
- Cut the wings in two
- For the wing part with one bone, cut off, with a paring knife, the tendon attached to the bone and with your fingers press the meat down . I prefer to pull down from the thickest part of the bone downward but any way will do
- For the part of the wing with two bones, a small and large one, detach the meat from the small bone and twist it out. Push the meat down the bone
- Neaten the lollipops by scrapping off any meat from the protruding bone. I know the chicken meat seems to flap all over. No worries t, it will take shape in a neat little ball at the next stage.
- Have three bowls ready. The first with flour, another with beaten egg (s) and the last with bread crumbs. Salt and pepper to taste the flour and the bread crumbs
- Dry the lollipops and dip them in the flour, shape them in a neat ball and dip them in the egg wash and last the bread crumbs. Do not be afraid to use the palm of your hand to shape the lollipops
- Put the lollipops in the refrigerator until ready to use
- Have enough oil in a frying pan to reach at least ½ to ¾ the lollipops. Heat the oil in a frying pan to medium. Too hot and the oil will burn the bread crumbs before fully cooking the chicken. Fry in small batches and do not crowd the pan
- Cooking at medium heat for at least five minutes or more and that’s depending on the size of the wings. My wings were small
- I prefer to serve mine with a dipping sauce. I have my chili jam and made a sweet sauce
- Soy sauce – 2 tbsps.
- Honey – 4 tbsps.
- Lime juice – 2 tbsps.
- Sesame seed – 1 tsp.
- Corn flour – 1 tsp.
Put all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat up, and stir, under low medium heat until the sauce thickens. A good sauce must cover the back part of a spoon.