Suddenly I see the organic label on many more fresh products in Kenya. I bought some organically grown button mashrooms. Yes, mashrooms is what the label said. The size and quality of the mushrooms, sorry mashrooms, was very good.
Now, to the mushroom soup, it is a soup not a cream of mushrooms, and seriously full of flavor.
- 250 gr of button mushrooms quartered
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 75 gr butter
- 750 ml chicken stock or water. Water for the vegetarian but chicken stock provides more flavour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cream – optional
- Sweat the onions in butter until soft and translucent
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 to 10 minutes on medium heat
- Add the chicken stock or water, salt and pepper to taste, and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes
- Mix the soup with a mixer or hand blander
- Optional – add 1 tablespoon of cream to the soup or for plating a few drops for decoration.