Chili Jam is the perfect accompaniments for grilled chicken or a dipping sauce to bring some heat and taste to dull steamed vegetables. The type of chili used determine the jam heat level. So, it is a dish for the creative mind. I use a combination of red capsicums, red chilies and tomatoes. Did I say red tomatoes?
I must stress to use caster sugar in my recipe. In Kenya, regular sugar is light brown and gives a dull color to the finish product. The recipe provides 250 ml of chili Jam. The quantity is enough for home use, and if you want more then multiply accordingly.
Try chili jam with spring rolls or as a topping for beef burger.
- 1 (100 gr) red capsicum , chopped
- 1 (100 gr) tomato, nice red tomato, peeled and deseeded
- 5 ( 50 gr) red bullets, deseeded and chopped
- 200 gr of caster sugar
- 1 tsp pf grated ginger
- 65 ml white vinegar
- Mix the capsicum, tomatoes, red bullets and ginger in a food processor. Mix to a paste
- Put in a pot the sugar and vinegar. Cook under medium heat until the sugar bubbles and is melted. Leave the pot alone while the ingredients are cooking. Remember do not disturb sugar while it cooks
- Add the food processor mixture to the pot and cook under medium heat for 15 minutes
- Let it cool before using. It will thicken a little once cooled