My absolute favorite fish or sea food batter is light and crunchy but best it is easy and fast to prepare. It requires only 2 main ingredients which are flour and very cold soda water. Instead of soda water you can easily use any strong sparkling water. The quantity of fish or sea food is according to your need. However, the quantity provided for the batter is enough for approximately 1 kg of fish or seafood. Also, if you wish, you can fry calamari using this batter recipe.
- I used large prawns and fillets of red snapper.
- Prawns – shelled leaving the tail, clean and de-veined. To de-vein, cut the back of the prawn, remove the black vein and rinse
- Red snapper fillet – cut in even square of 3 to 4 centimeters. It is better to cut them in bite size
- ¾ cup to 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of very cold soda water
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Dry, on paper towels, the fish and sea food
- Place the flour in a bowl, salt and pepper to taste, and add the soda water. Mix well with a fork or whisk. The batter has the consistency of a crêpe batter. Also, at this stage, you can add paprika, chili flakes, finely chopped parsley or cilantro, even coconut flakes or any spices of your choices. Remember that paprika will color the batter when cooked. Add the prawns or fish in the batter, delicately shake off any excess.
- Deep them, in small batches, in hot oil. The oil should be at 180 to 185 Celsius.
- Cook until the batter starts gaining color. Please, do not overcook in order to avoid an oily product.