I think I have the perfect and easy dessert. Actually, if you execute it with love you have a small masterpiece in your hand, it is absolutely addictive. If you are lucky you can buy a jar of dulce de leche . Unfortunately, I have never seen it in Kenya but there is two methods of making it. The first one consists of immersing a can of sweet condensed milk in water and boil it under medium heat for 2 to 3 hours. The second method, which is from scratch is as follows and requires a full hour of attention.
Dulce de Leche
- 1 litre of milk. Whole milk, if you have, is better
- 150 gr of sugar or more to taste
- ¼ cup of golden or corn syrup
- ½ tsp f baking soda
Pour everything in a large and high pot. At the first boil stir and reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. You need to stir frequently until the mixture thickens, changes color and reduce to 1/3. It takes about one hour. You need patience but the milk will evaporate, the sugar cook to a caramel color and the mixture will thicken.
They are easy to make but require careful attention to measurements. I like to use the recipe from my culinary school because it always gave me good result. The recipe is for 1 litre of milk. Make the proper adjustments, multiplication or division, according to your need using the litre of milk as your indicator. You can make about 50 crêpes with one litre of milk. That’s a lot!
- 450 to 500 gr of sifted flour
- 10 gr Salt
- 50 gr sugar (optional) I personally never put sugar because it burns fast.
- 6 eggs
- 1 litre milk
- 100 gr melted butter
Put the flour in a bowl, make a hole in the center and add the salt, sugar and the eggs. Progressively add the milk mixing with the other ingredients. Strain the mixture. Add the melted butter and let the mixture rest for at least 20 minutes. Some, cook the butter until it turns dark with a nice hazelnut color and aroma, noisette as it is called in French, but it is up to you.
Now for the Crêpes with Dulce de leche.
- Heat up a frying pan without excess, put a little butter and add enough crepe batter to coat the bottom.
- Cook to your taste, pale or until brown spots show up on the surface
- Place the crêpe on a plate and spread some dulce de leche. Fold the crêpe to your taste and serve.