I have a sinful infatuation with potatoes. It is my perfect vegetables. Anyway, I have some boerewors which are South African sausage made with beef, pork and spices. Please, if you can get them, try them as they definitely rank in taste among the best sausage in the world. Of course, for me, potatoes are the best sausage accompaniments. Mustard goes well with sausage, so why not make a mustard mash.
In Kenya Farmer’s Choice and Gilani’s butchery at ABC Place make excellent boerewors sausages.
- 1 kg potatoes
- 100 gr of butter
- 1 tbsp of French whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- parsley to taste
- Salt and crushed black pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes whole until fork tender
- Peeled the potatoes without burning your hand
- Mash them with butter still leaving lumps. Rustic style
- Add the mustards, parsley and mix well
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve the potatoes with a drizzle of oil from the sausage pan and sprinkle with parsley.
Cook the sausages in the oven with a few onions wedges.