This post is the last one for 2013. I will be back the first week of next year.
Where I am going? Not far, at least for me. A short flight from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro and a shorter ride to Arusha where I will spend the holiday season with friends. I don’t know why a few think that Kilimanjaro is somewhere in Nepal. No, Kilimanjaro is in Tanzania.
My last dish is chicken fajita with sour cream. I make everything by hand not because I want to be a hero but because ready-made tortillas are rarely available in the market. Sour cream seems to be seasonal and since I have heavy cream, which is of high quality and always available in the markets, I made my own sour cream. Easy, easy, easy, super easy and fast
Tortillas remind me of the chapatis in Kenya. Tortillas are thinner and lighter than chapatis. Check my post to make the tortillas.
- 2 to 3 chicken breast thinly sliced. Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally and cut them in 2 cm strips.
- 3 red pepper (capsicum) and 1 green one
- The juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1 tsp. of coriander powder
- 1 tbsp. of fresh cilantro
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the chicken strips in a bowl. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, cilantro and lime juice. Let marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes
- Turn the oven grill to 220 Celsius. Cut the capsicums in half and put them in an oven tray, side up, and grill until charred. This may take at least 45 minutes to 1 hour at my altitude. I cut them in half as not to bother turning them during grilling. Once charred put them in a plastic bag to cool then remove the skin. Cut them in thin strips
- For the sour cream put 1 tbsp. of white wine vinegar in a cup and top up with the heavy cream. Let it stand to thicken, 5 to 10 minutes and you are done. It is very easy and the result is fantastic
- Thinly sliced the onions
- Coat the bottom of a frying pan and under medium heat add the chicken strips, salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the onion slices and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes until the onions are soft
- Add the capsicum strips and finish cooking the chicken to your liking
- Warm up the tortillas, no fat or oil, in a frying pan until small blisters appear
- To plate put the chicken fajita in a tortilla and served with sour cream