Well, it is bread and almost round so let’s call them bread rolls. At time, but rarely, the mood strikes me to make bread. Actually, I wanted bread rolls to eat with my broccoli soup. I made a small design on the bread, with a scissor, to make them pretty and used sesame seeds for added flavor and decoration. Also, if you are creative you can mix the dough with herbs, add cheese or other type of seeds on top of the rolls.
It is fun and rewarding to make bread.
- 6 cups of regular flour
- 1 tbsp. of instant dry yeast
- 2 cups of warm water
- 4 tbsps. of sugar
- 1/3 cup of oil
- 2 tsp. of salt
- Melt 1 tbsp. of sugar in ½ cup of warm water
- Put the yeast in a large bowl, add the water and sugar mixture. Let it rest until the mixture becomes homogeneous and creamy. This should take 5 minutes
- Add the rest of the sugar ( 3 tbsps.), the oil, the flour and the salt. Add the rest of the warm water (1 ½ cup) and mix well
- Tip the dough onto a floured working space and knead for 10 minutes
- Oil the bowl
- Place the dough in the bowl, cover, and let it rest for one hour or until it doubles in size
- Punch the dough and divide in 16 equal portions. Knead each portions a little, shape in a ball, place on a lightly oiled tray and cover. Let the dough rises again for another 30 minutes
- Brush each roll with egg wash ( egg and water) and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Cut a cross on top with a scissor
- Bake in a 200 Celsius oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.