This chocolate cake is light, with layers of buttery chocolate filling. The most difficult is to properly slice it. I suggest using a sharp knife with a thin blade. Cut the cake without an excessing sawing motion. The recipe has three stages; making the cake, the chocolate filling and the assembling.
Needed to make the cake
• 7 eggs
• 200 gr caster sugar
• 150 gr sifted flour
• 50 gr cocoa powder
• 50 gr melted butter
• I use a silicon mold which does not require buttering or using a wax paper lining. I suggest you do the aforementioned if using a regular mold.
• Beat the eggs with the sugar until the mixture is very pale and fluffy. Add half the flour and the cocoa powder and mix. Add the melted butter. Add the rest of the flour and the cocoa powder and finish mixin
• Pour the mixture in a rectangular mold. Mine is 22 cm length x 6 cm in height
• Cook in an oven at 180 Celsius for 35 minutes. Let the cake cool completely
• Equalize the cake by cutting off a top layer. Cut it lengthwise in half then cut each half in 2.
Needed for the chocolate filling
• 200 gr of dark chocolate cut in pieces
• 125 gr of unsalted butter
• 50 gr of icing sugar
• In a heat proof bowl atop simmering water melt the chocolate and the butter until very smooth
• Add the icing sugar and let the mixture cool a little
Assembling the cake
• 75 gr almonds slivers
• Put the almonds slivers on a frying pan. Toast them until golden light. Be very attentive, almonds burn very fast
• On a cake slice spread a thin layer of chocolate filling and cover it with another cake slice. Same action, spread the chocolate filling and cover with a cake slice. Continue until done.
• Cover the whole cake, as best as you can, with the chocolate filling.
• Spread some toasted almonds on the sides. The easiest way is to put the almonds on plate and place the cake on top.
• I was left with some chocolate filling and toasted almonds. I mixed everything and made a small design to top the cake.