Carrots are not boring. I suggest, because they tend to wilt quite rapidly, to buy them as needed. I like carrots in stews, in purée or mix with potatoes. One of my favorite salad is carrots with cumin which I serve solo as an entrée, warm or cold, or as an accompaniment to a meat dish.
If you see a spice named Jeera, buy it as it is cumin. Now, when the cumin is roasted then grounded you have total spice luxury.
Yes, I gave the carrots a fancy cut. It is nice to fancy up a simple dish. I provide scant proportions as I want you to use your cooking sense on how much is required.
- Carrots – 150 gr per person is enough. So, do the math
- Orange – Do get the pixie orange. Grown locally, here in Kenya, fantastic taste and extremely juicy
- Garlic clove
- Olive oil
- Jeera / cumin
- Fresh herbs like parsley or coriander
- Peel and slice the carrots
- Put them in a pot with enough orange juice to cover them and a crushed garlic clove. Add a little salt, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Do check and stir during the cooking process and add more orange juice if needed
- Transfer the carrots to a plate, sprinkle a little lime juice and olive oil. Finish up with another sprinkle of Cumin/Jeera and fresh herbs.