I like my pizza thin, crusty and chewy in the same time. The topping is in accordance to what is in my fridge but I enjoy anchovies, fresh chilies, basil leaves but for some reasons I do not like meat on my pizza. But that’s me.
I have made many different pizza dough but this one is my favorite. For some reason it has restaurant qualities. The quantity is for 1 pizza.
- 1 tbsp. Instant yeast
- ½ tsp. of sugar
- 125 ml of warm water
- 225 gr of sifted flour
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsps. of olive oil
- Melt the sugar in the water. Add it to the yeast and let rest until it lightly foams
- In a bowl add the flour, salt and the yeast mixture. Mix very well with your hands
- Put the dough on a light floured board and knead for at least 10 minutes.
- Oil a bowl, place the dough, cover with a towel and let the dough rise for about 45 minutes.
- Deflate the dough and knead again until smooth and pliable.
- Using a rolling-pin thin out and shape the dough to your liking. I made mine square. Who said that all pizzas have to be round?
Making a basic pizza
- Tomato sauce. See my tomato sauce recipe
- Mozzarella cheese, grated or broken in small parcels
- Olive oil
- In that order add a thin layer of tomato sauce on the pizza base, add Mozzarella cheese and drizzle some olive oil
- Bake in a 200 Celsius oven for 15 minutes or until the dough is cooked.
Tips – I have made mine with anchovies. The pizza is the perfect stage for creativity, add olives, any vegetables or meat, fish or sea food to make it your own. Use different cheeses, or a mix, such as goat cheese, Gruyère, feta, cheddar, Parmesan and the list is endless.