It is hot and the sun is bright. Yes, we are at the end of October but, remember, I live in Kenya. Anyway, perfect day for a light dish, perfect day for a Niçoise salad . It is a fancy name for a dish but doing it is simple and fast to prepare. The added bonus is that I will show you how to make a perfect vinaigrette. The proportions are for 4
- Lettuce leaves or a bag of nice mixed greens
- 4 regular size potatoes – the waxy type – A regular potato, for me, is one that easily fit in one hand
- French beans, try getting the very thin one
- 2 tomatoes or 8 cherry tomatoes
- 16 Olives – any color but blacks are better for this dish
- 4 hard boiled, peeled and cut in four wedges
- 8 anchovy filets in oil – The John West brand has anchovies
- Tuna steak, a tin of 200 gr, in sunflower oil. Again, I prefer John West
- 8 Capers should do
- Olive oil
- Peel, slice and boil the potatoes until tender. Drizzle with olive oil
- Add the French beans to boiling water with salt and cook until tender but with a nice bite, 5 minutes
- Prepare the vinaigrette
- 1 crush garlic clove
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps. white wine vinegar
- 125 ml / 6 tbsps. of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze of lime (optional)
- Put all the ingredients, except the oil, in a bowl and whisk. Now, drizzle the oil while whisking to get an emulsion.
Arrange the lettuce on a plate and add the potatoes, French beans, tuna, tomatoes, olives and the capers. Drizzle the vinaigrette and decorates with the eggs and the anchovies fillets.
Tips – Be creative by adding small pieces of avocado, artichoke heart even croutons or whatever fit your fancy. Serve with garlic bread.