I like the dish and the movie. It is a very aromatic summer dish, a delight eaten with garlic bread. It is quick to prepare. This dish is best made with olive oil. The idea is to slightly pre-cook all the ingredients separately then combine them for the final cooking stage. The recipe is for 4.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 small each red yellow pepper (capsicum) cut in square. It is OK if you have only one colour capsicum
- 1 medium size eggplant (aubergine), cubed
- 1 zucchini – cut in thick slices.
- 4 tomatoes – peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. of tomato paste
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 5 large basil leaves
- 1 bay leave
- 1 garlic clove
- A dash of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coat the bottom of a pan with olive oil, cook the onions until translucent
- Add the capsicums to the onions and further cook under medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove into a bowl
- Add a little more olive oil and colored the eggplant. Remove from the pan into the bowl
- Add the zucchini and color for a few minutes then return to the pan all the ingredients stored in the bowl
- Add tomato paste and mix well
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leave and basil, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Mix well cover and simmer under low heat for 20 minutes.
Tips – I love this dish with garlic bread.