I use Crème pâtissière to fill tartlets, choux pastry or anything to please a sweet tooth. Do not confuse it with custard, the tastes have no similarities. The following is a basic recipe for crème pâtissière. However, it can be modified by changing the flavor, color and even the texture. The recipe is for 1 litre of milk.
- 1 litre of standard milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 200 gr of sugar
- 120 gr of flour
- 2 tsp. of vanilla essence
- In a large bowl, cream with a whisk the egg yolks and the sugar. Add the sifted flour and continue mixing until smooth
- Heat the milk to the boiling point. Add the vanilla essence to the milk
- Carefully pour half the hot milk to the egg mixture, mix well then pour it to the rest of the milk in the pot
- Whisk on low heat, until the mixture thickens to the desired consistency
- Remove the crème pâtissière to a clean bowl and put a cling film on the surface in order to avoid the formation of a crust. Let it cool a little and refrigerate
Tip: Never wait when mixing eggs with sugar, sugar has a tendency to “burn” the egg yolks. Do not over mix the flour. Oh yes, to cream is to mix the egg yolks and the sugar until smooth and pale in color. Make an extraordinary crème pâtissière by using vanilla beans.