Yes, you can make a cake out of a vegetable. You already cook savory dishes with fruits, the tomato is a fruit. I use a silicon baking pan. It does not need greasing and all cakes slide out easily. However, a tin pan must be lined with a greaseproof paper. By the way, a small kitchen scale and measuring cups or spoons always comes handy when baking. Check my Kitchen Essentials. Needed
- 100 gr of sugar
- 75 gr of brown sugar – yes the sticky one with the molasses
- 175 ml of sunflower oil – sunflower oil is tasteless and preferable for baking.
- 3 eggs
- 3 medium carrots grated, approximately 150 gr
- 100 gr sultanas or raisins
- 175 gr home baking flour – sifted
- 1 tsp. of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 scant tsp. of baking powder.
- 1/2 tsp. each of nutmeg and cinnamon powder
- Heat up the oven to 180 degrees (Celsius)
- In a large bowl mix the sugars, eggs and oil
- Add the grated carrots and the sultanas
- Add flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon
- Mix well but don’t over do it.
- Pour the mixture in the baking pan
- Bake for 50 minutes
- Let the cake cool in the mold.
Tips – When buying silicon pans buy one with strong borders or rims. Trust me on this one.