Ready-made tomato sauce is expensive. At least here in Kenya. Tomatoes are in plenty and of high quality. Yes, in Kenya tomatoes taste and smell like tomatoes.
I know when someone has been abroad for too long. – Ooooooh, these tomatoes taste so good. I usually try to give a hug before they break down in tears for what they are missing.
Tomatoes are cheap, presently in October the price vary around Ksh 55/= per kg. Yes, that’s about Euro 0.60 a kg.
I have a nice tomato sauce recipe which can be made in large quantity. Tomato sauce last for months in a freezer or a week in the refrigerator. You save a bundle by making your own and the taste and quality is absolutely magical. The quantity is for about 1 litre and a little bit more. Oops, I forgot to say that a hand blender or food processor is necessary. Check my kitchen essentials for information.
- 1.500 kg of nice ripe and red tomatoes.
- A small bunch of basil leaves
- 1 onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- Olive oil. Olive oil is important for this recipe
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and chop the tomatoes
- Finely chop the onion
- Remove the stem in the middle of the garlic cloves then finely chop. Remember we are doing gourmet
- Roughly chop the basil leaves.
- Turn the heat to medium
- Coat the bottom of the pot with olive oil
- Add the minced onion and sweat until translucent
- Add the minced garlic
- Add the tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes
- Add the basil and put salt and pepper to taste
- Cook for another 20 minutes
- Let the sauce cool and with a food processor or hand blender mix until smooth
- Pour the sauce in a container. Keep it in the refrigerator or the freezer for later use
Tips – to peel tomatoes. Carve a cross with the tip of a knife on top of each tomatoes and put them in a heat proof bowl. Pour boiling water on them and let them stay for about 1 minute. Now they are easy to peel with a knife. Do not boil them but pour boiling water over them. In the event that, for any reason, you find your tomato sauce with a bitter taste then add a dash of sugar. It really helps.