Many of my friends love the sharp sweet taste of lemon curd. I eat it, as is, from a spoon or on a piece of bread but mainly I use it to fill my tartlets.
- 125 ml of yellow lemon juice
- 100 gr of sugar
- 4 regular size eggs
- 85 gr of cold butter cut in cube
- Make a bain-marie (double boiler) –place a heat proof bowl on top of a pot fill with a little simmering water. The bottom of the bowl must not touch the water. The heat source must be low and constant.
- Add the lemon juice, sugar and the eggs in the bowl and mix well
- Add piece by piece the cold butter and whisk until it is melted. I repeat piece by piece.
- Whisk until the mixture thicken. It is good when it nicely coat the back of a spoon
Tip: A good test to ensure that a sauce has the right consistency is to dip a spoon in the sauce, remove it and slide your finger on it. The sauce is good when you see the spoon after your run on finger on it.
You can make lemon curd with limes. Use 2 eggs instead of 4 and a green colorant is nice to get the lime color.