You are a chocolate lover? Then I have a perfect cake. It does not use flour but the result is a rich and intense chocolate cake.
It is fool proof using my instructions. You can make it for special occasion or just to satisfy your sweet tooth. You can put almonds instead of hazelnuts but the taste will be different. The cake is much better with hazelnuts.
- A cake mold of about 24 cm. The one with the latched ring around. Butter and flour the mold.
- 120 gr of unsalted butter
- 400 gr of grated of dark cooking chocolate
- 8 eggs
- 200 gr of sugar
- 1 tsp. of vanilla essence
- 40 gr of cocoa powder
- 150 gr of roasted hazelnuts – available at Healthy U
- 250 ml of whipping cream
- Powder to very fine the hazelnuts or almonds in a food processor or coffee grinder
- Grate the chocolate
- Cube the butter
- Separate the eggs in large bowls
- In a bain-marie (double boiler) melt 200 gr of the chocolate with the butter. Let cool slightly
- In a bowl nicely mix to a creamy stage the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla. Add the cocoa powder, the powdered hazelnuts or almonds and mix to and homogenous paste
- Whisk the egg white to stiff pick.
- Fold the stiff egg white to the chocolate mixture. Do not energetically mix but delicately fold the egg white into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered and floured mold.
- Cook in a 180 degrees oven for one hour
- Heat up to ebullition the whipping cream. Then add the rest of the grated chocolate and stir until melted. Refrigerate.
- When the cake is cook let it cool and with care remove the ring.
- Remove the cream and chocolate mixture (it is called a ganache) from the refrigerator. Whisk it to a smooth texture.
- Spread the ganache on the cake using a spatula.
Tips: The bottom of the cake is smoother than the top. Turn the cake around and spread the ganache on the smooth side. Cut the cake in small portion, it is very filling and excellent for a large crowd. The cake makes easily 15 portions.